Quantcast

[DISCUSS] Move DdlUtils to the Apache Attic?

[DISCUSS] Move DdlUtils to the Apache Attic?

Bryan Pendleton-3
Hi All,

In case you don't know me, I generally hang out in the Derby community,
but I'm currently serving as the Apache DB PMC chairperson.

Among the DB PMC, there is a feeling that it may be time to move the
DdlUtils sub-project to the Apache Attic (https://attic.apache.org/)

Moving a project to the Attic does not remove your access to the DdlUtils
software, as I understand it: the source code remains available in the
Subversion repository, and the existing releases are still available on
archive.apache.org.

Moving a project to the Attic is an acknowledgement that it is not
being actively developed, and in particular makes that status clear to
people who might come across DdlUtils and be uncertain about its state.

If you have an opinion about whether DdlUtils should be moved to
the Apache Attic or not, please do let us know. In particular, if you
are actively working on development of DdlUtils, please let us know that.

thanks,

bryan

Re: [DISCUSS] Move DdlUtils to the Apache Attic?

Emilian Bold-2
I haven't used DDLUtils in close to a decade but somehow stuck on the
mailing list since it's so low-traffic. The previous email asking something
DDLUtils-specific seems to be from 2014.

I don't know if anybody is actively working on the project but I haven't
seen any new release announcements.

And people don't seem to be using this mailing list which means they are
probably not using DDLUtils.

So I think moving it to the attic would be good.

Still, I believe there is a need for something like DDLUtils, particularly
to move data acoss different databases.

--emi

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Bryan Pendleton <[hidden email]