Derby Logo, Take Two

Susan Cline
In the month of March we tried to select a logo for Derby, but failed to do so after some
voting oddities.  At the end of March Jeremy suggested that we table the topic until the
beginning of May:

I'd like to start up the topic of establishing firmer guidelines so at the end of the submissions and voting, we'll actually have selected a new logo.

Listed below are some things we should discuss, and I'm sure many others I have not thought of.

Susan

Derby Logo Rules

submission
--------------
How will submissions be handled?
Size of logo?
Restriction on images / image type?
Where will images be posted for viewing?
Will all previous submissions be considered eligible?
How long to wait for new submissions?

voting
-------
Who can vote?
How many rounds of voting?
Minimum number of votes to make it into any secondary rounds?
How to vote?  (Only one logo, or can vote for multiple logos ... up to three?)
Length of time for first (maybe only) round of voting?

Tallying
---------
Who will tally?
What determines the winner?  Simple majority,  minimum # of votes, top 3 vote-getters, etc?

Final Decision
--------------
Is the vote tally binding?
Or do the committers have the final say on the winner, based on the
results of the vote?

Re: Derby Logo, Take Two

Jean T. Anderson
I removed the link to the old logo contest page, suspecting it could
cause confusion.  It is still out there if anyone wants to look at it
for reference:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/logo_contest.html

Once it has been updated with the new "rules of engagement", I'll update
the web site and put a visible link back on the navigation menu.

  -jean

Susan Cline wrote:

> In the month of March we tried to select a logo for Derby, but failed to
> do so after some
> voting oddities.  At the end of March Jeremy suggested that we table the
> topic until the
> beginning of May:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200503.mbox/%3c4249B044.5000703@...%3e
>
> I'd like to start up the topic of establishing firmer guidelines so at
> the end of the submissions and voting, we'll actually have selected a
> new logo.
>
> Listed below are some things we should discuss, and I'm sure many others
> I have not thought of.
>
> Susan

> Derby Logo Rules
>
> submission
> --------------
> How will submissions be handled?
> Size of logo?
> Restriction on images / image type?
> Where will images be posted for viewing?
> Will all previous submissions be considered eligible?
> How long to wait for new submissions?
>
> voting
> -------
> Who can vote?
> How many rounds of voting?
> Minimum number of votes to make it into any secondary rounds?
> How to vote?  (Only one logo, or can vote for multiple logos ... up to
> three?)
> Length of time for first (maybe only) round of voting?
>
> Tallying
> ---------
> Who will tally?
> What determines the winner?  Simple majority,  minimum # of votes, top 3
> vote-getters, etc?
>
> Final Decision
> --------------
> Is the vote tally binding?
> Or do the committers have the final say on the winner, based on the
> results of the vote?

Re: Derby Logo, Take Two [managing logo submissions]

Jean T. Anderson
In
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200505.mbox/%3c20050503184855.71659.qmail@...%3e
Susan Cline kick started the logo contest. She included this question:

> How will submissions be handled?

Would anybody object to attaching logo submissions to a Jira issue
(which I'll volunteer to open)?

Managing submissions in Jira has the following advantages:
1) Uploading the file presents the opportunity to click on the button to
"Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works".
2) Organizing all submissions within a single Jira issue will make it
easier to include on the web site for review (rather than searching
through old list posts).

Jira has the disadvantage that it requires an additional step to request
a Jira id at http://issues.apache.org/jira/; however, anyone may request
an id.

thoughts? comments? agreement? disagreement?

  -jean

Re: Derby Logo, Take Two [managing logo submissions]

Craig L Russell
Hi Jean,

+1 to both.

Requiring a logo submitter to get a Jira id sounds like a reasonable
idea, and granting a license to use the logo at the time of upload
makes perfect sense to me.

Craig

On May 11, 2005, at 1:37 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> In
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200505.mbox/
> %[hidden email]%3e
> Susan Cline kick started the logo contest. She included this question:
>
>> How will submissions be handled?
>
> Would anybody object to attaching logo submissions to a Jira issue
> (which I'll volunteer to open)?
>
> Managing submissions in Jira has the following advantages:
> 1) Uploading the file presents the opportunity to click on the button
> to "Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works".
> 2) Organizing all submissions within a single Jira issue will make it
> easier to include on the web site for review (rather than searching
> through old list posts).
>
> Jira has the disadvantage that it requires an additional step to
> request a Jira id at http://issues.apache.org/jira/; however, anyone
> may request an id.
>
> thoughts? comments? agreement? disagreement?
>
>  -jean

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Derby Logo, Take Two [managing logo submissions]

Craig L Russell
Taking this one step further, could we use Jira to tally votes? That
would reduce the ambiguity over who is qualified to vote, and provide
for one vote per Jira account...

Just thinking(?) out loud.

Craig

Craig Russell wrote:
> Taking this one step further, could we use Jira to tally votes? That
> would reduce the ambiguity over who is qualified to vote, and provide
> for one vote per Jira account...
>
> Just thinking(?) out loud.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines and looked into it a little --
there's one vote for DERBY-257.  :-)

Voting seems to be a straight toggle in Jira (not multiple choice):
either you vote for fixing the issue or not fixing the issue.

I thought perhaps a subtask might be used for each logo entry. DERBY-167
has subtask DERBY-275.  I voted for DERBY-275 just now, but that vote
doesn't get reflected at the parent level.

So we may still need a manual email tally unless somebody more Jira
savvy has ideas.

  -jean

Re: Derby Logo, Take Two [managing logo submissions]

Jean T. Anderson
I opened DERBY-297 to handle logo submissions:

So, anyone can upload a logo to this Jira issue.  You do need a Jira id,
which you can sign up for here:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/

If anyone has trouble signing up for a Jira id or uploading your
submission, please post and we'll help you out.

  -jean

Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> Taking this one step further, could we use Jira to tally votes? That
>> would reduce the ambiguity over who is qualified to vote, and provide
>> for one vote per Jira account...
>>
>> Just thinking(?) out loud.
>>

> Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines and looked into it a little --
> there's one vote for DERBY-257.  :-)
>
> Voting seems to be a straight toggle in Jira (not multiple choice):
> either you vote for fixing the issue or not fixing the issue.
>
> I thought perhaps a subtask might be used for each logo entry. DERBY-167
> has subtask DERBY-275.  I voted for DERBY-275 just now, but that vote
> doesn't get reflected at the parent level.
>
> So we may still need a manual email tally unless somebody more Jira
> savvy has ideas.
>
>  -jean

Re: Derby Logo, Take Two [managing logo submissions]

Jean T. Anderson
Andrew Kachalo uploaded his logo (thanks, Andrew!) and an advantage I
immediately see is that Jira itself displays the images.

I have karma to manage attachments so can verify exactly who uploaded
what, but not everyone can see that, so I'll add an index for the images.

  -jean