Derby and MacOS X

Andrew Kachalo
Does anyone use Derby with MacOX in Xcode?

If yes, please share your approach on installing and setup.

Thank you!

==
Best Regards
Andrew Kachalo

Re: Derby and MacOS X

Jon Miller-2
What's Xcode?

Jon

> Does anyone use Derby with MacOX in Xcode?
>
> If yes, please share your approach on installing and setup.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ==
> Best Regards
> Andrew Kachalo

Re: Derby and MacOS X

bsnyder
On 5/9/05, Jonathan Eric Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's Xcode?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xcode/

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Derby and MacOS X

Andrew Kachalo
Xcode is the IDE for developing applications under MacOS X. Comes with
MacOS X 10.3 and higher.

On May 9, 2005, at 17:27, Jonathan Eric Miller wrote:

> What's Xcode?
>
> Jon
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Kachalo"
> <[hidden email]>

==
Best Regards
Andrew Kachalo
http://www.geocities.com/andrew_kachalo/

Re: Derby and MacOS X

Jon Miller-2
Thanks. I just got a Mac. I'll check it out...

Jon

> Xcode is the IDE for developing applications under MacOS X. Comes with
> MacOS X 10.3 and higher.
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xcode/
>
> On May 9, 2005, at 17:27, Jonathan Eric Miller wrote:
>
>> What's Xcode?
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Kachalo"
>> <[hidden email]>

Andrew McIntyre

On May 8, 2005, at 4:48 AM, Andrew Kachalo wrote:

> Does anyone use Derby with MacOX in Xcode?
>
> If yes, please share your approach on installing and setup.

Do you mean developing an application that uses Derby with XCode? If
so, then just add the Derby jars to the lib directory of your Xcode
project. After adding derby.jar to the lib directory, you'll find the
Derby classes in the Class Browser and compiling and running your Derby
application should be easy.

If you want to work on Derby itself in Xcode, that's a more complicated
affair. There is currently a bug in Xcode that prevents debugging Java
console applications like ij, which limits its usefulness for hacking
on the Derby engine or tools inside of Xcode. I haven't yet tried Xcode
2.0, which comes with Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4), to see if this bug has
been fixed.

andrew

Re: Derby and MacOS X

Andrew Kachalo
After adding derby.jar and derbytools.jar to project, I tried each of
next two lines of code, but it returns "No Class Def Found Exception ":

Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();

DriverManager.registerDriver (new
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver());

How to solve this problem?

Thanks!

On May 10, 2005, at 11:16, Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On May 8, 2005, at 4:48 AM, Andrew Kachalo wrote:
>
>> Does anyone use Derby with MacOX in Xcode?
>>
>> If yes, please share your approach on installing and setup.
>
> Do you mean developing an application that uses Derby with XCode? If
> so, then just add the Derby jars to the lib directory of your Xcode
> project. After adding derby.jar to the lib directory, you'll find the
> Derby classes in the Class Browser and compiling and running your
> Derby application should be easy.
>
> If you want to work on Derby itself in Xcode, that's a more
> complicated affair. There is currently a bug in Xcode that prevents
> debugging Java console applications like ij, which limits its
> usefulness for hacking on the Derby engine or tools inside of Xcode. I
> haven't yet tried Xcode 2.0, which comes with Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4),
> to see if this bug has been fixed.
>
> andrew

==
Best Regards
Andrew Kachalo
http://www.geocities.com/andrew_kachalo/

Re: Derby and MacOS X

Andrew McIntyre-2

On May 10, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Andrew Kachalo wrote:

> After adding derby.jar and derbytools.jar to project, I tried each of
> next two lines of code, but it returns "No Class Def Found Exception
> ":
>
> Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();
>
> DriverManager.registerDriver (new
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver());
>
> How to solve this problem?

Make sure that you add the files to the lib directory of the Xcode
project. Jar files added to the lib directory will automatically be
added to the classpath for compilation and execution. To do this, right
click or control-click the lib folder underneath the main project icon
and select Add... -> Existing Files..., select derby.jar and then click
Add. Click Add in the next dialog box and you should be ready to go.

andrew

Re: Derby and MacOS X

Andrew Kachalo
Thanks it works!

Cam you tell me how can I use ij utility from Terminal?

In install and setup instructions is written how to make it workable
for Windows and it's not compatible with MacOS.

Thanks!

On May 11, 2005, at 7:36, Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Andrew Kachalo wrote:
>
>> After adding derby.jar and derbytools.jar to project, I tried each of
>> next two lines of code, but it returns "No Class Def Found Exception
>> ":
>>
>> Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();
>>
>> DriverManager.registerDriver (new
>> org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver());
>>
>> How to solve this problem?
>
> Make sure that you add the files to the lib directory of the Xcode
> project. Jar files added to the lib directory will automatically be
> added to the classpath for compilation and execution. To do this,
> right click or control-click the lib folder underneath the main
> project icon and select Add... -> Existing Files..., select derby.jar
> and then click Add. Click Add in the next dialog box and you should be
> ready to go.
>
> andrew

==