Derby driver woes in Squirrel

John English-3
I'm in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 machine, and have just
installed Squirrel. I did this a couple of years ago on my old machine
and it just worked, so I wasn't expecting any problems. I specified
Embedded Derby during the installation, and derby.jar shows up in the
Squirrel plugins directory. So far so good.

Now, when I start Squirrel, all the drivers are shown as disabled.
The plugin settings window shows Load at Startup=true, Internal
name=derby, Name=Derby Plugin, Loaded=true, Version=0.13, Author=Rob
Manning, Contributors=Alex Pivovarov. I double-click on Apache Derby
Embedded, and it shows me the current class path. Derby.jar is not listed.

So I tried the following:

1) Adding the path to derby.jar to the "Extra Classpath" tab and setting
Class Name to org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver. No luck.

2) Copying derby.jar to Squirrel's lib directory, so it shows up in the
main classpath. The log file shows it's in the classpath, and also says
"INFO net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.Application - Plugin derby
created in 0 ms, loaded in 0 ms, initialized in 3 ms, total 3 ms." But
still no luck.

I have also checked that I have full control for the installation
directory and tried copying the drivers to the user
.squirrel-sql\plugins directory. Still nothing.

I'm now at the sacrificing chickens stage. Does anyone have any clue
what is going wrong here?

TIA,
John English

Re: Derby driver woes in Squirrel

John English-3
On 18/05/2020 16:10, John English wrote:
> I'm now at the sacrificing chickens stage. Does anyone have any clue
> what is going wrong here?

Aha. The derby.jar that comes in the Squirrel distro is a dud. Replacing
it with a known-good copy saved a chicken's life. Apologies for wasting
your bandwidth.

John English

Re: Derby driver woes in Squirrel

Bryan Pendleton-3
Interesting. Can you let the Squirrel community know about this?

I wonder if this is related to the switch from Java 8 to Java 9 across
the Derby 10.14 to 10.15 boundary?

Can you tell what version Squirrel was pre-packaging, and what version
you used instead?

thanks,

bryan

On 24/05/2020 19:34, Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> Interesting. Can you let the Squirrel community know about this?
>
> I wonder if this is related to the switch from Java 8 to Java 9 across
> the Derby 10.14 to 10.15 boundary?
>
> Can you tell what version Squirrel was pre-packaging, and what version
> you used instead?
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Looking at the Squirrel version, the file called derby.jar contains the
following directory structure (using du):

3       net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/derby/exp
7       net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/derby/prefs
14      net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/derby/tab
4       net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/derby/tokenizer
20      net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/derby/types
65      net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/derby
65      net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins
65      net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql
65      net/sourceforge
65      net

So no wonder it didn't work. I naively assumed that a file called
derby.jar would be an actual Derby distro. (Incidentally, the manifest
says it was built with JDK 1.8.0_192.)

My derby.log says "10.9.1.0 - (1344872)" -- I haven't upgraded for ages,
and am still on Java 1.8 myself. It ain't broke so I'm not fixing it.

--
John English