Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Banibrata Dutta
Hi Folk,

Trying to use Derby for the first time. I am not an expert Java developer but dabbling for learning me some. I followed the official Derby instructions for installing the latest Derby on my freshly minted Lubuntu (lighter Ubuntu using LXDE) 64-bit 18.04.3 setup, with OpenJDK11 (default).

Have started Derby in network server mode like this:
$ java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start

And then trying to using ij to create the database like this:
$ ij
ij version 10.15
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XJ041, SQLERRMC: Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE: XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
ij>

Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into derby.log file, but I found none so far. What gives ? How to proceed ? Didn't find any general troubleshooting instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no obvious clues.

cheers,

Re: Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Kerry
Hi,

This sounds like it might be a Java permissions error as you are using Open JDK 11. If you look in the derby.log file located in $DERBY_HOME it will give an indication. Post the content of it here.

Kerry

Sent from BlueMail
On 8 Nov 2019, at 07:29, Banibrata Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Kerry. Finally found 'derby.log' which was in my $HOME (not in $DERBY_HOME), perhaps because that's where I started derby network from.
The log file has following 3 entries towards the end, and indeed it seems to be permission problem:

Fri Nov 08 12:34:46 IST 2019 Thread[DRDAConnThread_4,5,main] (DATABASE = seconddb), (DRDAID = {5}), Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for details.
Fri Nov 08 12:34:46 IST 2019 Thread[DRDAConnThread_4,5,main] (DATABASE = seconddb), (DRDAID = {5}), Startup failed due to an exception. See next exception for details.
Fri Nov 08 12:34:46 IST 2019 Thread[DRDAConnThread_4,5,main] (DATABASE = seconddb), (DRDAID = {5}), Java exception: 'access denied ("java.lang.RuntimePermission" "getenv.SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH"): java.security.AccessControlException'.

What should be done to provide permissions ? Is the permission going to be Derby specific ?

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:44 PM Kerry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

1. If you don't have $DERBY_HOME set then I do believe Derby will take it's bike from whichever directory it has been started from.
2. Your Derby log confirms it's a permissions error. A *CRUDE* fix for this is:

Locate the file 'java.policy'. it's probably located in /etc/java-11-openjdk/security.
Add the following immediately above other permissions within that file:

permission java.security.AllPermission;

This however should not be a long term fix and you should investigate a more secure solution. Maybe others on this mailing list might have a more informed solution.

Kerry

Sent from BlueMail
On 8 Nov 2019, at 09:40, Banibrata Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Zorro
On 11/8/19 11:10 AM, Kerry wrote:
1. If you don't have $DERBY_HOME set then I do believe Derby will take it's bike from whichever directory it has been started from.
2. Your Derby log confirms it's a permissions error. A *CRUDE* fix for this is:

Locate the file 'java.policy'. it's probably located in /etc/java-11-openjdk/security.
Add the following immediately above other permissions within that file:

permission java.security.AllPermission;

This however should not be a long term fix and you should investigate a more secure solution. Maybe others on this mailing list might have a more informed solution.

Kerry

Better specify separately the security policy for the database.

Include on the command line

-Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy=$DERBY_HOME/server.policy"

Maybe there is in the derby demo directory an example.

Harm-Jan

[...]

Rick Hillegas-3
A basic server policy (which you should customize) can be found in the
Derby Security Guide at
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/security/rsecbasicserver.html It
is also located in the bin distribution at
demo/templates/serverTemplate.policy.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

On 11/8/19 2:26 AM, Zero wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>             And then trying to using ij to create the database like
>> this:
>>             $ ij
>>             ij version 10.15
>>             ij> CONNECT
>>             'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
>>             ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE:
>>             XJ041, SQLERRMC: Failed to create database 'seconddb', see
>>             the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE:
>>             XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
>>             ij>
>>
>>             Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into
>>             derby.log file, but I found none so far. What gives ? How
>>             to proceed ? Didn't find any general troubleshooting
>>             instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no obvious
>>             clues.
>>
>>             cheers,

Re: Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Bryan Pendleton-3
If you're just learning Derby, you don't need to use the Network
Server and Network Client.

Try following the "embedded" path in
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/getstart/twwdactivity1_overview.html

It's a lot simpler.

Then when you're more comfortable with Derby you can move up to the
Network Server and its additional administration issues.

bryan

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:29 PM Banibrata Dutta
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folk,
>
> Trying to use Derby for the first time. I am not an expert Java developer but dabbling for learning me some. I followed the official Derby instructions for installing the latest Derby on my freshly minted Lubuntu (lighter Ubuntu using LXDE) 64-bit 18.04.3 setup, with OpenJDK11 (default).
>
> Have started Derby in network server mode like this:
> $ java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start
>
> And then trying to using ij to create the database like this:
> $ ij
> ij version 10.15
> ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
> ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XJ041, SQLERRMC: Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE: XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
> ij>
>
> Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into derby.log file, but I found none so far. What gives ? How to proceed ? Didn't find any general troubleshooting instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no obvious clues.
>
> cheers,

Re: Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Banibrata Dutta
Thank you all for the suggestions. However, I decided to downgrade to Java 8 (OpenJDK 8), as I realized that the tutorial I was following was actually also using OpenJDK 8, and I didn't feel confident to venture out without help. I am however facing another issue with Derby, after downgrading where it throws an error. Will make a separate post about it in a moment.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folk,
>
> Trying to use Derby for the first time. I am not an expert Java developer but dabbling for learning me some. I followed the official Derby instructions for installing the latest Derby on my freshly minted Lubuntu (lighter Ubuntu using LXDE) 64-bit 18.04.3 setup, with OpenJDK11 (default).
>
> Have started Derby in network server mode like this:
> $ java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start
>
> And then trying to using ij to create the database like this:
> $ ij
> ij version 10.15
> ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
> ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XJ041, SQLERRMC: Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE: XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
> ij>
>
> Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into derby.log file, but I found none so far. What gives ? How to proceed ? Didn't find any general troubleshooting instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no obvious clues.
>
> cheers,

Re: Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Banibrata Dutta
Oops, noticed this text in Software Installation instructions:

If you have not already installed a JDK, download and install it now. No specific vendor implementation is required; the only requirement is that it be certified for J2SE 9 or higher. Java's reference implementation is at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. After installing the JDK of your choice, proceed to the next section.

So is there an older version of Apache Derby for JavaSE 8 ?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folk,
>
> Trying to use Derby for the first time. I am not an expert Java developer but dabbling for learning me some. I followed the official Derby instructions for installing the latest Derby on my freshly minted Lubuntu (lighter Ubuntu using LXDE) 64-bit 18.04.3 setup, with OpenJDK11 (default).
>
> Have started Derby in network server mode like this:
> $ java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start
>
> And then trying to using ij to create the database like this:
> $ ij
> ij version 10.15
> ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
> ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XJ041, SQLERRMC: Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE: XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
> ij>
>
> Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into derby.log file, but I found none so far. What gives ? How to proceed ? Didn't find any general troubleshooting instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no obvious clues.
>
> cheers,

Re: Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Banibrata Dutta
Apologies for my clumsiness and sloppiness. The answers are indeed there in the documentation.