Derby server health probing

Xavier Vigouroux
Hi,

We use a derby server in an High Availability context. Thus, we need to
test if derby server is in a good shape or not. The result of this
repetitive question will imply a fail-over or not.

we thought about two solutions:

1/ create an agent to insert/select/delete an entry in a table
2/ create a stored procedure doing a finer job.

these solutions do not satisfy us as:

o a JVM needs to be created for a very short duration and repetitively
o it's CPU consuming.

So, do you think of another solution that would prove the derby server
is in a good shape, without consuming too much resources.

Thanks

Xavier VIGOUROUX - sun microsystems

Re: Derby server health probing

Daniel John Debrunner
Xavier Vigouroux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use a derby server in an High Availability context. Thus, we need to
> test if derby server is in a good shape or not. The result of this
> repetitive question will imply a fail-over or not.
>
> we thought about two solutions:
>
> 1/ create an agent to insert/select/delete an entry in a table
> 2/ create a stored procedure doing a finer job.
>
> these solutions do not satisfy us as:
>
> o a JVM needs to be created for a very short duration and repetitively
> o it's CPU consuming.
>
> So, do you think of another solution that would prove the derby server
> is in a good shape, without consuming too much resources.

There's no requirement for a client of the network server to be written
in Java. It should be possible to write a lightweight C program that
sends and receives a ping tcp/ip message to the network server.

Dan.

Re: Derby server health probing

Jean T. Anderson
you might also check out C-JDBC from ObjectWeb. Emmanuel Cecchet did a
writeup for Derby that's available for download from here:

http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/

  -jean