Derby synchronization

Neal Dewing
Hi All,

I require the synchronization of two embedded derby databases.

The environment is as follows:

1. CLIENT APPLICATION:

Swing based application
The database is accessed through Data access objects (such as SQL2Java's
generated DAO's)

2. REMOTE APPLICATION:

Web based application
The database is accessed through a servlet responsible for executing the
DAO's.

I have found a commercial option (Daffodil Replicator), but it does not
currently offer a mechanism for synchronizing through a servlet (although
this might be a reasonable specific requirement).

1. Does anyone know of a mechanism to do this?
2. Would this provide for foreign key integrity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Neal

Re: Derby synchronization

David Van Couvering-2
Could you explain more what you mean by "synchronizing through a
servlet?"  Do you mean some type of database synchronization to keep two
independent databases in synch?

Thanks,

David

Neal Dewing wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I require the synchronization of two embedded derby databases.
>
> The environment is as follows:
>
> 1. CLIENT APPLICATION:
>
> Swing based application
> The database is accessed through Data access objects (such as SQL2Java's
> generated DAO's)
>
> 2. REMOTE APPLICATION:
>
> Web based application
> The database is accessed through a servlet responsible for executing the
> DAO's.
>
> I have found a commercial option (Daffodil Replicator), but it does not
> currently offer a mechanism for synchronizing through a servlet (although
> this might be a reasonable specific requirement).
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a mechanism to do this?
> 2. Would this provide for foreign key integrity?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Kind Regards,
> Neal

RE: Derby synchronization

Neal Dewing-2
Hi David,

The "remote application" uses an embedded derby database. All requests to
this database are passed through a servlet that executes DAO transactions,
for example remotemethod.execute("DAO", "insert", arg1, arg2);

In the same way, I require the synchronization mechanism to tunnel requests
through a servlet.

                        | |
                        | |
Synchronization |  http server --> |  Derby embedded database
request --> |   |
                        |   |
                        | |

Hope this provides some clarity on the matter.

Thanks,
Neal

Neal Dewing wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I require the synchronization of two embedded derby databases.
>
> The environment is as follows:
>
> 1. CLIENT APPLICATION:
>
> Swing based application
> The database is accessed through Data access objects (such as SQL2Java's
> generated DAO's)
>
> 2. REMOTE APPLICATION:
>
> Web based application
> The database is accessed through a servlet responsible for executing the
> DAO's.
>
> I have found a commercial option (Daffodil Replicator), but it does not
> currently offer a mechanism for synchronizing through a servlet (although
> this might be a reasonable specific requirement).
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a mechanism to do this?
> 2. Would this provide for foreign key integrity?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Kind Regards,
> Neal

Re: Derby synchronization

David Van Couvering-2
Hi, Neal, thanks.  It sounds like you are looking for Derby to provide
some kind of synchronization mechanism between two Derby database
instances.  If so, Derby does not currently provide such a feature,
tunneled or otherwise.

If this is not what you meant, please let me know.

David