Future development

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Future development

John Eichelsdorfer
Is there an active developer still on this project?  Though it would take a large amount of effort, we are wondering if over time we should move towards a different bridge technology.  We were not able to get some of the newer features to work with the 1.0.5 beta mentioned in a former letter and are not sure if the beta is even coming out still.  Just trying to manage our risk and planning.

Regards,

JohnE
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Future development

Paul Joseph-3
Good question--I asked the list a question about a month ago when I ran
into problems trying to get the OJB-JDO bridge working on Vista, but
there was no reply.

John Eichelsdorfer wrote:

> Is there an active developer still on this project?  Though it would take a
> large amount of effort, we are wondering if over time we should move towards
> a different bridge technology.  We were not able to get some of the newer
> features to work with the 1.0.5 beta mentioned in a former letter and are
> not sure if the beta is even coming out still.  Just trying to manage our
> risk and planning.
>
> Regards,
>
> JohnE
>
>
> -----
> John Eichelsdorfer
>
> http://jobbank.com/ jobbank.com
>  

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Future development

Janssen, Roger
Hi,

I am wondering the same thing. I believe a year ago, their was one
really active developer (Armin), but he turned papa and did not have
much time between work and fatherhood. He managed to squeeze out a
release candidate for a maintenance release (eagerly awaited for more
then two years), but there were regression issues with it. That was the
last I really heard about any OJB development.

If you look at the mailinglist archive, you will notice that for the
past half a year maybe 50 messages have been sent, so their is no real
active community anymore either.

We are still using OJB (1.0-rc5) but are also deliberating a move to
something else, like hibernate or the new upcoming JPA.

Kind regards,

Roger Janssen
ibanx

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Joseph [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:18 PM
To: OJB Users List
Subject: Re: Future development

Good question--I asked the list a question about a month ago when I ran
into problems trying to get the OJB-JDO bridge working on Vista, but
there was no reply.

John Eichelsdorfer wrote:
> Is there an active developer still on this project?  Though it would
> take a large amount of effort, we are wondering if over time we should

> move towards a different bridge technology.  We were not able to get
> some of the newer features to work with the 1.0.5 beta mentioned in a
> former letter and are not sure if the beta is even coming out still.  
> Just trying to manage our risk and planning.
>
> Regards,
>
> JohnE
>
>
> -----
> John Eichelsdorfer
>
> http://jobbank.com/ jobbank.com
>  

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
 
*************************************************************************
The information contained in this communication is confidential and is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to  whom it is
addressed.You should not copy, disclose or distribute this communication
without the authority of iBanx bv. iBanx bv is neither liable for the
proper and complete transmission of the information has been maintained
nor that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions or
interference.  
 
If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return
the communication to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.  





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Future development

jason_lunn
I think Hibernate sucked all the air out of the room. The number of tools
offering hibernate integration has been outpacing OJB forever.
Are there any compelling features in OJB that are not found elsewhere?

 - Jason
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Future development

Ilkka Priha-2
We prefer OJB:s compact size, explicit control of caching, clear
structure and functionality, and especially the ability to dynamically
modify the persistence model through the API during run-time without
disturbing open sessions; Hibernate lacks most of these features and JPA
is too limited. We haven't yet tried JDO, I understood that it provides
more than JPA.

-- Ilkka

Jason wrote:
> I think Hibernate sucked all the air out of the room. The number of tools
> offering hibernate integration has been outpacing OJB forever.
> Are there any compelling features in OJB that are not found elsewhere?
>
>  - Jason
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...