I don't find the JDBC driver class in derbyclient.jar

I don't find the JDBC driver class in derbyclient.jar

Richard Grin
Hi,

I have just started using Derby (version 10.15.2.0) today.

I would like to use it with Payara server so I have to put the JDBC
driver in Payara. Payara can't find the class
org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver. I looked for this class in the
derbyclient.jar file but I couldn't find it.

What's my mistake? Has the driver class changed? Is the class in another
file?

I have read articles about JDBC driver for old versions of Derby Network
server but I can't find the information for the 10.15.2.0 version.

Richard

Re: I don't find the JDBC driver class in derbyclient.jar

Rick Hillegas-3
Hey Richard,

The drivers moved into derbytools.jar as part of the JPMS modularization
work introduced by the previous feature release (10.15.1.3). In addition
to derbyclient.jar, you will need to put derbyshared.jar and
derbytools.jar on your client-side classpath or modulepath. Please see
the corresponding release notes at
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.15.1.3.html

Hope this helps,
-Rick

On 3/4/20 11:10 AM, Richard Grin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just started using Derby (version 10.15.2.0) today.
>
> I would like to use it with Payara server so I have to put the JDBC
> driver in Payara. Payara can't find the class
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver. I looked for this class in the
> derbyclient.jar file but I couldn't find it.
>
> What's my mistake? Has the driver class changed? Is the class in another
> file?
>
> I have read articles about JDBC driver for old versions of Derby Network
> server but I can't find the information for the 10.15.2.0 version.
>
> Richard

Re: I don't find the JDBC driver class in derbyclient.jar

Richard Grin

Thanks a lot Rick. I put these 3 files in the lib directory of Payara and everything is working now.

In the meanwhile I found the page http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/getstart/twwdactivity4.html but it does not mention the file derbytools.jar; is it a mistake?

I am not used to Derby and I had a problem to solve with the default name and password to give (APP) in order to connect my Web application to Derby. I solved it by guessing the "APP" values to put. Where can I find this information in the documentation?

Richard

Le 05/03/2020 à 00:53, Rick Hillegas a écrit :
[...]

Thanks for spotting this, Richard. I have logged
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-7071 to track the
documentation issue.

On 3/5/20 1:25 AM, Richard Grin wrote:
> Thanks a lot Rick. I put these 3 files in the lib directory of Payara and everything is working now.
>
> In the meanwhile I found the page http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/getstart/twwdactivity4.html but it does not mention the file derbytools.jar; is it a mistake?
>
> I am not used to Derby and I had a problem to solve with the default name and password to give (APP) in order to connect my Web application to Derby. I solved it by guessing the "APP" values to put. Where can I find this information in the documentation?

Derby's security mechanisms are documented here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/security/index.html

However, by default, Derby starts up out-of-the-box with authentication
turned off. The default schema (and username) is APP (without a
password). I am surprised that you were not able to connect without a
username and password. Can you share the details of how you are connecting?