Interested in contributing codes to Derby

Interested in contributing codes to Derby

robinsonmhj
Hi Derby Contributors,

My name is Robin, I am a newbie for derby. I'd like to join the project and make contribution to this project. I have been using Derby for a while and find out that permission granting in Derby is trivial. For example, it can only grant permission on tables. It is nice that if it can grant permission based on schema. One additional thing is that when drop and recreate a table with the same name under same schema, the permission has to be grant again.

Is there anyone who can give me some guide on this project? Right now, I am reading user documents and architecture design document of Derby.

Thanks in advance.

Robin

Re: Interested in contributing codes to Derby

Katherine Marsden-3
On 5/10/17 7:24 PM, Robinson Ma wrote:

> Hi Derby Contributors,
>

> My name is Robin, I am a newbie for derby. I'd like to join the project
> and make contribution to this project. I have been using Derby for a
> while and find out that permission granting in Derby is trivial. For
> example, it can only grant permission on tables. It is nice that if it
> can grant permission based on schema. One additional thing is that when
> drop and recreate a table with the same name under same schema, the
> permission has to be grant again.
>

> Is there anyone who can give me some guide on this project? Right now, I
> am reading user documents and architecture design document of Derby.

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the Derby community.  The Grant/Revoke implementation is
based on the SQL Standard, so that might be a good reference resource
for you to look at. It's been a long time for me, but I used to get it
from my work but not sure if it is publicly available for download.

I see these notes on the Wiki.
https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/GrantRevokeImplementation

If you search Jira you might find some interesting documentation
attached to Grant/Revoke related issues, for example

It might be interesting to look at the diffs on those issues too, to
help understand what code areas are related.

I haven't been active technically on the Derby project for many years
but would love to see the community grow, so would be happy to help in
anyway I can.

Best

Kathey

Re: Interested in contributing codes to Derby

Rick Hillegas-3
On 5/12/17 6:03 PM, Katherine Marsden wrote:

> On 5/10/17 7:24 PM, Robinson Ma wrote:
>> Hi Derby Contributors,
>>

>> My name is Robin, I am a newbie for derby. I'd like to join the project
>> and make contribution to this project. I have been using Derby for a
>> while and find out that permission granting in Derby is trivial. For
>> example, it can only grant permission on tables. It is nice that if it
>> can grant permission based on schema. One additional thing is that when
>> drop and recreate a table with the same name under same schema, the
>> permission has to be grant again.
>>

>> Is there anyone who can give me some guide on this project? Right now, I
>> am reading user documents and architecture design document of Derby.
>>

> Hi Robin,
>
> Welcome to the Derby community.  The Grant/Revoke implementation is
> based on the SQL Standard, so that might be a good reference resource
> for you to look at. It's been a long time for me, but I used to get it
> from my work but not sure if it is publicly available for download.
Hi Robin,

It used to be possible to obtain free copies of near final drafts of new
versions of the SQL Standard. That is not possible anymore. The
organizations which own and evolve the Standard expect to be paid a
nominal fee for their work. The relevant part of the Standard is part 2
(Foundation) and the latest revision is dated 2016. It costs about $200
and can be obtained from https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html. I
believe that a free, near final copy of the 2008 revision can still be
obtained from https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

> I see these notes on the Wiki.
> https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/GrantRevokeImplementation
>
> If you search Jira you might find some interesting documentation
> attached to Grant/Revoke related issues, for example
>
> It might be interesting to look at the diffs on those issues too, to
> help understand what code areas are related.
>
> I haven't been active technically on the Derby project for many years
> but would love to see the community grow, so would be happy to help in
> anyway I can.
>
> Best
>
> Kathey

Re: Interested in contributing codes to Derby

robinsonmhj
Hi Derby Contributors,

I have one proposal for Derby.

Currently in Derby, it can only grant permission on tables. It is nice that if it can grant permission based on schema. One additional thing is that when drop and recreate a table with the same name under same schema, the permission has to be grant again.

On 7/1/17 9:20 PM, Robinson Ma wrote:
[...]

Welcome to Derby. Contributions are always welcome!

1) Derby supports a subset of the privileges defined by the SQL Standard. According to the 2016 Standard, part 2, section 12.3 (<privileges>), the Standard privileges are...

SELECT
| DELETE
| USAGE
| TRIGGER
| UNDER
| EXECUTE

...and they can be granted to the following schema objects...

[ TABLE ] <table name>
| DOMAIN <domain name>
| COLLATION <collation name>
| CHARACTER SET <character set name>
| TRANSLATION <transliteration name>
| TYPE <schema-resolved user-defined type name>
| SEQUENCE <sequence generator name>
| <specific routine designator>

The Standard does not define any privileges which are granted to schemas. What did you have in mind?

2) Can you explain more about the problem you are experiencing when you drop a table and have to recreate it along with its associated privileges? There may be some solution involving the dblook tool as described in the Tools Guide: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.13/tools/ctoolsdblook.html

I would say that the incomplete implementation of CASCADE semantics is the major hole in Derby's implementation of Standard access controls. Would you be interested in working on that problem? I could coach you through the code.

Hope this is helpful,
-Rick