OJB Development Activity

jason_lunn
I have been away from the OJB community for a few years. Based on the state
of the website and the SVN repository, it looks like this project has
stalled... the last commits were months ago and the last release was in
2005.
Is OJB dead, or is active work being done somewhere to work towards
finishing 1.1, 2.0, the OTM, et al.

 - Jason

AW: OJB Development Activity

Lambrecht, Lasse (Allianz Deutschland)
Hi,

it has been quiet for a while, that's true. Maybe because there are still holidays in Germany (some of the developers live in Germany afaik).
But is it dead? I don't know. Can't find a roadmap or something like that on the website.
But as a user, it works fine for me. Actually I'm happy that there isn't a new version (with new features I don't need) every two months.

Regards
Lasse Lambrecht

Allianz Deutschland AG
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Michael Diekmann.
Vorstand: Dr. Gerhard Rupprecht, Vorsitzender; Dr. Christof Mascher, Thomas Pleines, Dr. Markus Rieß, Dr. Ulrich Rumm, Ulrich Schumacher, Rainer Schwarz, Dr. Maximilian Zimmerer.
Für Umsatzsteuerzwecke: USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814 580 981 ; Versicherungsbeiträge sind umsatzsteuerfrei.
Sitz der Gesellschaft: München
Registergericht: München HRB 158878

_____

> Lasse Lambrecht
> Allianz Deutschland AG
> D-IT-LKQ1 K6, Produktdatenbank, PROVI, ABS-Keydeveloper
> +49 711 663 5412

Re: OJB Development Activity

Armin Waibel
Hi Jason,

Jason wrote:
> I have been away from the OJB community for a few years. Based on the
> state of the website and the SVN repository, it looks like this
> project has stalled... the last commits were months ago and the last
> release was in 2005. Is OJB dead, or is active work being done
> somewhere to work towards finishing 1.1, 2.0, the OTM, et al.

Sorry for the delay. I took a few "sabbatical weeks" from OJB to spend
more time with my (newborn) daughter and currently I have some problems
with my eyes, which makes it difficult to work on OJB.
I will continue the work on OJB ASAP to prepare OJB 1.0.5_RC2.

regards,
Armin

Re: OJB Development Activity

Alessandro Colantoni
Hi,
Even if it is some time that there aren't new releases, I would say that
this is not a reason to consider a project dead.
It is a very useful project, I have to say that I limit to use just the
persistence broker, but after many years using it I never had a problem, and
I never felt the needing to switch to other most famous mapping tools, and
right now I really don't need more upgrade, I'm satisfied with this job, and
we have to consider how hard is to carry on an opensource project. Then it i
very easy to use, and I know that there are many many people using it. It is
very well documented so there are not many enquiries in the mailing list,
but when there are , they are answered very quickly. So resuming, a good
project, with many people using it, very useful, easy to use a with a good
support in the mailing list. Why dead?
Take care Armin, and thanks for all.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Armin Waibel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>

> Jason wrote:
>
>> I have been away from the OJB community for a few years. Based on the
>> state of the website and the SVN repository, it looks like this
>> project has stalled... the last commits were months ago and the last
>> release was in 2005. Is OJB dead, or is active work being done
>> somewhere to work towards finishing 1.1, 2.0, the OTM, et al.
>>

> Sorry for the delay. I took a few "sabbatical weeks" from OJB to spend more
> time with my (newborn) daughter and currently I have some problems with my
> eyes, which makes it difficult to work on OJB.
> I will continue the work on OJB ASAP to prepare OJB 1.0.5_RC2.
>
> regards,
> Armin

AW: OJB Development Activity

"Längerich, Bernd"
Armin wrote:
> Sorry for the delay. I took a few "sabbatical weeks" from OJB
> to spend
> more time with my (newborn) daughter and currently I have
> some problems
> with my eyes, which makes it difficult to work on OJB.

Armin,
congrats to your newborn family member, all the best to all of your family and take care of your eyes.

Bernd

Re: OJB Development Activity

Danilo Tommasina (MailingList)

same here as Alessandro said, we are using only the Persistence Broker part and are happy with it, our whole project is based on OJB and we added several
customisations for some optimised loading of references, building search criteria joining any tables (even if there are no foreign key references) and added the
possibility to set extra criteria on ANSI join clauses.

So we are still 100% happy with OJB and will stay on it :D

Cheers
Danilo Tommasina