RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released

Michael Remijan
Couple questions:

1. Will older Derby remote clients still work unchanged or will they need the new 10.15 JAR files?
2. Any database conversion required to go from older version to 10.15?

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 6:47 PM
To: [hidden email]; Derby Discussion <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released

The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce feature release 10.15.1.3.

Apache Derby is a sub-project of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to work with.

Derby 10.15.1.3 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

    https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.apache.org%2Fderby%2Fderby_downloads.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C407e1bbc71464a7d644408d6a67bee31%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636879448532636285&amp;sdata=IKQbQvYGxi2fGKb8AsWFV%2BXexGT2LHj%2BatUS%2BAl5xZo%3D&amp;reserved=0.

10.15.1.3 re-packages Derby as a set of JPMS modules. This introduces a new jar file, derbyshared.jar, required by all configurations. Existing users can continue to boot Derby with a classpath as they have always done. Applications will run as they did on older Derby versions.

Alternatively, users can now boot Derby with a module path. Doing so provides extra security by encapsulating (hiding) Derby's internal classes inside the new modules.

Via the JDK's jlink tool, the new Derby modules can be assembled into shrink-wrapped, footprint-optimized applications which deploy on platforms lacking a JVM--platforms like smart phones and tablets.

Users who want to study Derby's module structure may consult the module diagrams in the 10.15 public API.

Derby 10.15.1.3 runs on JVMs from Java 9 on up.

Please try out this new release.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released

Rick Hillegas-3
A couple responses inline...

On 3/13/19 4:39 AM, Michael Remijan wrote:
> Couple questions:
>
> 1. Will older Derby remote clients still work unchanged or will they need the new 10.15 JAR files?
Older remote clients should work unchanged--provided that they really
are running remotely in their own process. Older remote clients will NOT
need the 10.15 jars.
> 2. Any database conversion required to go from older version to 10.15?

No changes have been made to persistent structures. The default soft
upgrade still works, allowing you to revert to using your previous
release if you encounter problems.

Hope this helps,

-Rick

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 6:47 PM
> To: [hidden email]; Derby Discussion <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
> Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released
>
> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce feature release 10.15.1.3.
>
> Apache Derby is a sub-project of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to work with.
>
> Derby 10.15.1.3 can be obtained from the Derby download site:
>
>      https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.apache.org%2Fderby%2Fderby_downloads.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C407e1bbc71464a7d644408d6a67bee31%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636879448532636285&amp;sdata=IKQbQvYGxi2fGKb8AsWFV%2BXexGT2LHj%2BatUS%2BAl5xZo%3D&amp;reserved=0.
>
> 10.15.1.3 re-packages Derby as a set of JPMS modules. This introduces a new jar file, derbyshared.jar, required by all configurations. Existing users can continue to boot Derby with a classpath as they have always done. Applications will run as they did on older Derby versions.
>
> Alternatively, users can now boot Derby with a module path. Doing so provides extra security by encapsulating (hiding) Derby's internal classes inside the new modules.
>
> Via the JDK's jlink tool, the new Derby modules can be assembled into shrink-wrapped, footprint-optimized applications which deploy on platforms lacking a JVM--platforms like smart phones and tablets.
>
> Users who want to study Derby's module structure may consult the module diagrams in the 10.15 public API.
>
> Derby 10.15.1.3 runs on JVMs from Java 9 on up.
>
> Please try out this new release.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released

Michael Remijan
Yes it does, thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:36 AM
To: Derby Discussion <[hidden email]>; Michael Remijan <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released

A couple responses inline...

On 3/13/19 4:39 AM, Michael Remijan wrote:
> Couple questions:
>
> 1. Will older Derby remote clients still work unchanged or will they need the new 10.15 JAR files?
Older remote clients should work unchanged--provided that they really are running remotely in their own process. Older remote clients will NOT need the 10.15 jars.
> 2. Any database conversion required to go from older version to 10.15?

No changes have been made to persistent structures. The default soft upgrade still works, allowing you to revert to using your previous release if you encounter problems.

Hope this helps,

-Rick

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 6:47 PM
> To: [hidden email]; Derby Discussion
> <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
> Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.15.1.3 released
>
> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce feature release 10.15.1.3.
>
> Apache Derby is a sub-project of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to work with.
>
> Derby 10.15.1.3 can be obtained from the Derby download site:
>
>      https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.apache.org%2Fderby%2Fderby_downloads.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C714173c0dc9c4b1fecfc08d6a7b8dd98%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636880809759628260&amp;sdata=yyXob4%2FYQGP04xYCt6PuFt9Usn%2Bw1evjUpck%2FdpqZNM%3D&amp;reserved=0.
>
> 10.15.1.3 re-packages Derby as a set of JPMS modules. This introduces a new jar file, derbyshared.jar, required by all configurations. Existing users can continue to boot Derby with a classpath as they have always done. Applications will run as they did on older Derby versions.
>
> Alternatively, users can now boot Derby with a module path. Doing so provides extra security by encapsulating (hiding) Derby's internal classes inside the new modules.
>
> Via the JDK's jlink tool, the new Derby modules can be assembled into shrink-wrapped, footprint-optimized applications which deploy on platforms lacking a JVM--platforms like smart phones and tablets.
>
> Users who want to study Derby's module structure may consult the module diagrams in the 10.15 public API.
>
> Derby 10.15.1.3 runs on JVMs from Java 9 on up.
>
> Please try out this new release.
>