Quantcast

[VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

[VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Rick Hillegas
Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Friday May 3.

A) The 10.11 release will support Java 8, 7, and 6. The development
trunk will no longer support Java 5 and CDC.

B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
that branch. We will document this on the wiki.

C) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a modern
language feature for the first time.

Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the 10.11
trunk:

I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.

II) Purging user doc references to Java 5, CDC, and the JDBC 4 DataSources.

III) Removing the JDBC 4 version of the public api from the published
javadoc. The recently introduced CP2 DataSources would need to migrate
to the JDBC 3 version of the published javadoc. The JDBC 4 versions of
the DataSources would still exist, but they would be vacuous extensions
of their JDBC 3 counterparts.

D) We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to
user code.

Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following email
thread:
http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Rick Hillegas
+1

On 4/30/13 7:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
> The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Friday May 3.
>
> A) The 10.11 release will support Java 8, 7, and 6. The development
> trunk will no longer support Java 5 and CDC.
>
> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
> that branch. We will document this on the wiki.
>
> C) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
> using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
> on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a
> modern language feature for the first time.
>
> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the
> 10.11 trunk:
>
> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
>
> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5, CDC, and the JDBC 4
> DataSources.
>
> III) Removing the JDBC 4 version of the public api from the published
> javadoc. The recently introduced CP2 DataSources would need to migrate
> to the JDBC 3 version of the published javadoc. The JDBC 4 versions of
> the DataSources would still exist, but they would be vacuous
> extensions of their JDBC 3 counterparts.
>
> D) We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to
> user code.
>
> Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following
> email thread:
> http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Knut Anders Hatlen-5
+1

Rick Hillegas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
> The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Friday May 3.
>
> A) The 10.11 release will support Java 8, 7, and 6. The development
> trunk will no longer support Java 5 and CDC.
>
> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
> that branch. We will document this on the wiki.
>
> C) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
> using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
> on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a
> modern language feature for the first time.
>
> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the
> 10.11 trunk:
>
> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
>
> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5, CDC, and the JDBC 4 DataSources.
>
> III) Removing the JDBC 4 version of the public api from the published
> javadoc. The recently introduced CP2 DataSources would need to migrate
> to the JDBC 3 version of the published javadoc. The JDBC 4 versions of
> the DataSources would still exist, but they would be vacuous
> extensions of their JDBC 3 counterparts.
>
> D) We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to
> user code.
>
> Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following
> email thread:
> http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Dag H. Wanvik-2
+1

Dag

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Kim Haase-2
+1

On 4/30/2013 10:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
> The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Friday May 3.
>
> A) The 10.11 release will support Java 8, 7, and 6. The development
> trunk will no longer support Java 5 and CDC.
>
> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
> that branch. We will document this on the wiki.
>
> C) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
> using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
> on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a modern
> language feature for the first time.
>
> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the 10.11
> trunk:
>
> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
>
> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5, CDC, and the JDBC 4 DataSources.
>
> III) Removing the JDBC 4 version of the public api from the published
> javadoc. The recently introduced CP2 DataSources would need to migrate
> to the JDBC 3 version of the published javadoc. The JDBC 4 versions of
> the DataSources would still exist, but they would be vacuous extensions
> of their JDBC 3 counterparts.
>
> D) We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to
> user code.
>
> Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following email
> thread:
> http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Bryan Pendleton-3
On 04/30/2013 07:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.

This seems like a rational process for moving forward.

+1

bryan

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Lily Wei-2
Plus to move forward.
+1

Lily
On May 2, 2013, at 6:28 AM, Bryan Pendleton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/30/2013 07:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
>
> This seems like a rational process for moving forward.
>
> +1
>
> Bryan

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Katherine Marsden-2
On 4/30/2013 7:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
> The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Friday May 3.

+1

> A) The 10.11 release will support Java 8, 7, and 6. The development
> trunk will no longer support Java 5 and CDC.
>
> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
> that branch. We will document this on the wiki.
>
> C) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
> using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
> on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a
> modern language feature for the first time.
>
> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the
> 10.11 trunk:
>
> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
>
> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5, CDC, and the JDBC 4
> DataSources.
>
> III) Removing the JDBC 4 version of the public api from the published
> javadoc. The recently introduced CP2 DataSources would need to migrate
> to the JDBC 3 version of the published javadoc. The JDBC 4 versions of
> the DataSources would still exist, but they would be vacuous
> extensions of their JDBC 3 counterparts.
>
> D) We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to
> user code.
>
> Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following
> email thread:
> http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following email thread: http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

mikem_app
+1

On 4/30/2013 7:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
> The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Friday May 3.
>
> A) The 10.11 release will support Java 8, 7, and 6. The development
> trunk will no longer support Java 5 and CDC.
>
> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
> that branch. We will document this on the wiki.
>
> C) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
> using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
> on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a modern
> language feature for the first time.
>
> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the 10.11
> trunk:
>
> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
>
> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5, CDC, and the JDBC 4 DataSources.
>
> III) Removing the JDBC 4 version of the public api from the published
> javadoc. The recently introduced CP2 DataSources would need to migrate
> to the JDBC 3 version of the published javadoc. The JDBC 4 versions of
> the DataSources would still exist, but they would be vacuous extensions
> of their JDBC 3 counterparts.
>
> D) We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to
> user code.
>
> Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following email
> thread:
> http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Dropping-some-old-platforms-in-10-11-td129559.html

[RESULT] [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 5 and CDC

Rick Hillegas
The polls have closed. The developer community has approved the proposal
to sunset support for Java 5 and CDC.

+1 votes:

Rick Hillegas (PMC)
Knut Anders Hatlen (PMC)