[doc] Proposal to move 10.0 docs to a new location on the derby web site

[doc] Proposal to move 10.0 docs to a new location on the derby web site

Jean T. Anderson
To make managing the derby web site easier, I propose moving the 10.0
docs that are currently here:

    http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals

To a mini site here -- and this "prototype" site is live so you can
review it:

    http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0

You might notice two main differences.

The first difference is you won't see the "Home" and "Community" tabs on
each page; instead, you'll see a tab that takes you back to the main
derby site. For example, compare this old page with the proposed new page:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/develop/develop15.html
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/manuals/develop/develop15.html

The second difference is old email and Jira entries that reference the
old location will break because of the addition of the "docs/10.0" path
in the URL.  I believe that I can fix this after the main move with
symbolic links between the old and new locations, but there might be
delay putting that in place.

Comments? Is this change acceptable? Do you spot problems with it?

If there's no opposition to this strategy (and no better proposal
offered on [hidden email]) by Friday, May 13, I'll go ahead and
make this change.

regards,

  -jean

Re: [doc] Proposal to move 10.0 docs to a new location on the derby web site

Jean T. Anderson
The document move is now live on http://incubator.apache.org/derby .
When you click on the links for the version 10.0 manuals, you'll be
taken to http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/ . A tab on that
site takes you back to the main Derby site.

I changed the layout of the navigation menu a little.  If you visited
the "prototype" site I put up last Tuesday, you might need to clear your
browser cache to see the new one.

Please post any problems you spot.

regards,

  -jean