java.sql.SQLException: Error unmarshaling return

java.sql.SQLException: Error unmarshaling return

Sriram Subramanian
Hi,

I am trying to setup Derby to use the RmiJdbc client / server (http://rmijdbc.objectweb.org/current/RmiJdbc/doc/index.html). Firstly, I'm curious if anybody has ever tried this before. I'm trying this out because there seem to be some licensing issues with using the IBM db2cc driver if u want to run Derby as a network server.

My setup consists of a client which uses the RmiJdbc driver to talk to the RmiJdbc server, and the server in turn talks to the Derby database. During startup, I have the server load the apache derby embedded driver and bind itself to the rmiregistry.

# java org.objectweb.rmijdbc.RJJdbcServer org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

My client program first loads the RmiJdbc driver and then connects to the Derby database with the following URL - jdbc:rmi://localhost/jdbc:derby:testdb. This part goes fine. But if I try to fetch something from the database, I get the following exception:

java.sql.SQLException: Error unmarshaling return; nested exception is: java.io.InvalidClassException: org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedSQLException; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID = -6688465790235736597, local class serialVersionUID = -8950025864534516143
at org.objectweb.rmijdbc.RJStatement.executeQuery(RJStatement.java:51)
at TestClient.main(TestClient.java:55)

I'm not sure if this is a bug with derby being unable to serialialize database objects, or if something is wrong with my setup? Would really appreciate any suggestions/pointers. btw, I also looked at the Derby network client which is not part of the official derby release yet. But I was not able to get that to work either...

Thanks!
- Sriram

Do You Yahoo!?

Re: java.sql.SQLException: Error unmarshaling return

Andrew McIntyre-2
On 5/26/05, Sriram Subramanian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> btw, I also looked at the Derby network
> client which is not part of the official derby release yet. But I was not
> able to get that to work either...

Hi Sriram,

I can't help with the RmiJdbc problem, since I have not used RmiJdbc
in a very long time. But could you please post details about the
problems you were having with the Derby network client driver? It
would be nice to fix any such problems before the Derby network client
becomes part of an official Derby release.

Thanks,
andrew

Re: java.sql.SQLException: Error unmarshaling return

Satheesh Bandaram
What is the problem with Derby network client? It has been available in the trunk for sometime. Other than the XA problems being debated, I don't know of any other bugs. Look at (http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyClientSpec.html) for more information on how to use the driver.

Satheesh

I'm not sure if this is a bug with derby being unable to serialialize database objects, or if something is wrong with my setup? Would really appreciate any suggestions/pointers. btw, I also looked at the Derby network client which is not part of the official derby release yet. But I was not able to get that to work either...

Thanks!
- Sriram

Do You Yahoo!?

HELP ME UNSUBSCRIBE ME

Tonio-5
Unsubscribe me, pleaseeeeeeeeee i've tried in so many ways ....
Thanx
Tonio

Re: HELP ME UNSUBSCRIBE ME

bsnyder
On 5/26/05, Tonio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe me, pleaseeeeeeeeee i've tried in so many ways ....

Have you sent a message from the email address that is subscribed to
the list to [hidden email]? If so, did you
receive a reply?

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: java.sql.SQLException: Error unmarshaling return

Sriram Subramanian
I had looked at the derby client spec. Based on the instructions there, I used the derby network client (instead of the IBM db2cc) to connect to the derby network server. My derby client is a Tomcat 4.1.31 instance with some webapps. I included derbyclient.jar in the app server classpath (shared/lib).

Start the derby n/w server....
# java org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start -h localhost -p 1527
Server is ready to accept connections on port 1527.

The driver config parameters (I set these in a configuration properties file within Tomcat):
jdbcDriver=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver
jdbcAddr=jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/"c:/temp/testdb";user=APP;password=APP;

A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: Reply.fill(). Communication API being used: InputStream.read(). Location where the error was detected: insufficient data. Communication function detecting the error: *. Protocol specific error
 codes(s) TCP/IP SOCKETS

I'm not sure what's causing this error...any ideas?

Thanks,
Sriram

Satheesh Bandaram <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the problem with Derby network client? It has been available in the trunk for sometime. Other than the XA problems being debated, I don't know of any other bugs. Look at (http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyClientSpec.html) for more information on how to use the driver.

Satheesh

I'm not sure if this is a bug with derby being unable to serialialize database objects, or if something is wrong with my setup? Would really appreciate any suggestions/pointers. btw, I also looked at the Derby network client which is not part of the official derby release yet. But I was not able to get that to work either...

Thanks!
- Sriram

Do You Yahoo!?

Do You Yahoo!?

Re: HELP ME UNSUBSCRIBE ME

Stanislav Gromov
Bruce Snyder wrote:

>On 5/26/05, Tonio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Unsubscribe me, pleaseeeeeeeeee i've tried in so many ways ....
>>

>Have you sent a message from the email address that is subscribed to
>the list to [hidden email]? If so, did you
>receive a reply?
>
>Bruce

I don't understand something ;-)
I want to unsubscribe, i wrote message to
[hidden email]
and i got message from [hidden email] with such text
to this address:
--------------
i replied to derby-user-digest-uc.1117094824.dmkehmagcjmdjihlkdbj-gromov=[hidden email]

that's all ;-)

On 5/27/05, Stanislav Gromov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't understand something ;-)
> I want to unsubscribe, i wrote message to
> [hidden email]
> and i got message from [hidden email] with such text
> to this address:
> --------------
> i replied to derby-user-digest-uc.1117094824.dmkehmagcjmdjihlkdbj-gromov=[hidden email]
>
> that's all ;-)
>
>    derby-user-digest-uc.1117094824.dmkehmagcjmdjihlkdbj-gromov=[hidden email]

I see your simlies in there, Stanislav, so I assume you're joking. 8-0

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/