Quantcast

separating ant specific tasks

Mansour Al Akeel
Hello all,

I am wondering about separating the classes under
org.apache.ddlutils.task into their own package, for example
org.apache.ddlutils.operations.

And keep Ant specific commands in the same package. This will allow
reusing the commands in different context (for example loading initial
data from java code, or creating a maven plugin).

Re: separating ant specific tasks

Martin van den Bemt
Hi Mansour,

As you noticed the project currently is a bit dormant. I am getting
closer to be able to invest time to go through the issues and after
that get a final release out the door. After that the plan is to move
to ddlutils to the Attic (http://attic.apache.org/).
Making backward incompatible changes and/or too much code changes is
something I like to avoid for a final release.
If there is a future for ddlutils after that release, we'll go from there.

Mvgr,
Martin

> Hello all,
>
> I am wondering about separating the classes under
> org.apache.ddlutils.task into their own package, for example
> org.apache.ddlutils.operations.
>
> And keep Ant specific commands in the same package. This will allow
> reusing the commands in different context (for example loading initial
> data from java code, or creating a maven plugin).

Re: separating ant specific tasks

Mansour Al Akeel
Martin,
Thank you for replying. I noticed that there's slower activity on the
mailing list. But does this mean that it has to be moved to the attic
?
As far as I know, the functionality offered by ddlutil is a common
requirement. Many applications requires creating a DB schema and
Currently in one of our applications, I am using dbunit for this,
which is not what the tool is for, but it gets the job done. I
believe, if we clean the code a bit, separate the
business logic, from ant tasks, and may be provide a maven plugin, and
complete the documentation a bit, it will pick up a bit.

Is there specific reason, to move it to attic ?