sunsetting support for Java 8

Rick Hillegas-3
The current schedule for Java 9 calls for a GA date some time this
autumn:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2017-June/005867.html.
Shortly after that, I would expect that the Derby community would
publish a new 10.14.1 feature release:
https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourteenOneRelease

I would like to propose that 10.14 be the last release family which runs
on Java 8. The 10.15 family would only run on Java 9 and higher. I
expect that we would produce a 10.15.1 release some time after the first
maintenance release of Java 9 goes GA, probably late in 2018.

Please us know if this platform policy would be a great hardship for you.

Re: sunsetting support for Java 8

Peter Ondruška-4
Dear Rick,

well, nice to know and I do not see a reason to object but does anybody have ideas what Java 9 adoption will look like(?).

p.

On 22 June 2017 at 04:15, Rick Hillegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
The current schedule for Java 9 calls for a GA date some time this autumn: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2017-June/005867.html. Shortly after that, I would expect that the Derby community would publish a new 10.14.1 feature release: https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourteenOneRelease

I would like to propose that 10.14 be the last release family which runs on Java 8. The 10.15 family would only run on Java 9 and higher. I expect that we would produce a 10.15.1 release some time after the first maintenance release of Java 9 goes GA, probably late in 2018.

Please us know if this platform policy would be a great hardship for you.

Peter Ondruška

kaibo, s.r.o., ID 28435036, registered with the commercial register administered by the Municipal Court in Prague, section C, insert 141269.
Registered office and postal address: kaibo, s.r.o., Kališnická 379/10, Prague 3, 130 00, Czech Republic.
https://www.kaibo.eu

On 6/22/17 5:12 AM, Peter Ondruška wrote:
Dear Rick,

well, nice to know and I do not see a reason to object but does anybody have ideas what Java 9 adoption will look like(?).
Thanks for that feedback, Peter. I don't have any model for predicting the Java 9 adoption rate other than a comparison with the adoption rate for Java 8: https://plumbr.eu/blog/java/java-version-and-vendor-data-analyzed-2016-edition Adoption tends to ramp up after the first maintenance release.

Project jigsaw (the modular JVM) is the driving feature of Java 9. I anticipate that the jigsaw JVM will be welcomed by people developing apps for Mac OSX, since jigsaw promises to reduce the size of those app bundles.

Just my guess, though.